The Patient Intake Specialist has the primary responsibility of receiving and processing new patient referrals. This position works with our referral sources (hospital discharge planners, physician offices, case managers, assisted living facilities, etc.) to qualify patients for our services and coordinate care for our new patients. They process all referrals for service requests and follow through in a timely, efficient, accurate, and courteous manner. They process and coordinate the flow of information for all new and returning patients.
This is a full time, hourly position with a pay rate of $16.00/hour. The schedule is Monday-Friday 830am-5pm.
- Requires a High School Diploma or GED
- Computer and typing skills
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong customer service skills
- Positive attitude and the ability to relate well with others
- Must be able to work in a fast paced setting
- Must be able to work in an open cubicle environment
- Must submit to Level II background and drug screening
- Initiates the agency referral process by receiving referrals from physicians, hospitals, health care facilities, community agencies, etc., that are sent via S-Fax and other sources
- Identifies and verifies insurance eligibility coverage of home health care services for each referral with timely notification to Administrator of eligibility issues
- Creates pending episode of care in EMR (electronic medical record)
- Creates active episode of care in EMR upon referral acceptance for care by Director of Nursing
- Maintains accurate physician entry for each referral including, obtaining NPI number, fax and phone number, and license verification and makes certain all physicians are PECOS certified
- Maintains Not Taken Under Care (NTUC) log
- Maintains hospital inpatient log with daily am and pm calls to area hospitals
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend meetings and trainings as required
- Complete other projects as assigned, act as backup to other staff in case of illness, vacation, etc.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Measureable Evaluation of Performance:
- Accurate, timely and complete entry of data into company databases (home health referrals, authorizations, billing, etc.
- Accurate, timely and complete development of reports.
- Achieve tardiness and attendance standards established by the organization
- Clear, accurate and timely verbal and written communication
- Provide excellent customer service.
Working Conditions/Physician Requirements:
- Business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30-5:00 pm
- Due to circumstances that may arise, overtime may be required at times. In all cases, overtime must be pre-approved by your supervisor
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time. Requires sitting at a computer for up to eight hours a day
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Frequently operates a computer and other office productivity equipment such as a calculator, copy machine and computer
If interested in this position please submit your resume for consideration via email. Please email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line “Patient Intake 10.2020”.