Summary: This is a full-time, co-supervisory position which is responsible for assisting the Chief Financial Officer with all financial reporting, accounting, and internal control aspects of the organization. The Controller will provide direct support to the CFO in coordinating a variety of tasks including but not limited to funder relations and contracts, cost allocation methodology, banking, insurance, audits, budgeting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll activities of the Organization. The Controller is an executive level position that will be groomed for ultimate advancement into the CFO position.
Qualifications/Requirements: Minimum qualifications include a bachelor’s degree. The ideal candidate’s qualifications will include a Masters Degree in Business or Accounting with at least 3 years of overall professional experience, and at least one year in an accounting and administrative supervisory capacity. A current CPA license is preferred, or it is required that the successful, candidate will be on track professionally to become a CPA. The candidate must successfully complete all pre-hire screenings. The candidate must also pass level II background screening and re-screen every five years. Qualified candidates also must have:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and procedures of accounting and controls including generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP); thorough knowledge of principles of organization and management, administration and budgeting.
- Skill in making complex, accurate mathematical calculations.
- Ability to meet and deal effectively with organization and departmental personnel, governing bodies, outside agencies and the public.
- Ability to analyze administrative and financial problems and make appropriate recommendations; and conduct and evaluate alternate fiscal and managerial approaches.
- Ability to apply accounting principles and procedures; ability to keep complex financial records and to prepare financial reports; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions and technical terminology
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, 10-key calculator, and general ledger software packages (experience with Accufund a plus)
- Ability to prepare financial and other records in a systematic, neat, legible manner
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks/projects, and rely upon judgment and experience to plan and accomplish goals efficiently and accurately
Assists the CFO in all aspects of Financial Management and Oversight
- Plans, directs and coordinates the accounting department’s work; meets with staff to identify and resolve problems; assigns projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures.
- Examines department policy for practicality and efficiency; develops policy for the department; Provides information to the public and outside agencies regarding financial position and results; provides staff support on special projects requiring research.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and local financial and accounting requirements.
- Compiles annual budgets; provides information on annual budget requests as required; monitors progress and changes and provides the CFO and senior management with financial results compared to budgets.
- Analyzes and presents financial reports in an accurate and timely manner;
- Liaise with external C.P.A. audit firm to coordinate and support the annual audit process.
- Performs all other duties assigned by the CFO.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.; additional hours maybe required at times.
- Must be able to see both near and the ability to adjust focus
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 pounds with minimal effort following required safety guidelines.
- Must be able to work in an office environment.
- Must be able to bend or stoop frequently at many intervals during the day.
- Must be able to twist and rotate180 degrees during each day.
- Must be able to sit at and work on a computer for at least 8 hours a day.
- Must be able to handle stress when confronted with emergency situations with which speed is essential.
Anyone with these skills that is interested in a challenging and highly rewarding work experience where every day provides an opportunity for growth is encouraged to submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference in the title of the email, Job Title: Controller Job code #CONTROL1120 closing date December 20, 2020.